Shanghai Jiaotong University is one of the earliest modern universities in China. Its history is like a mirror, reflecting the tortuous development of modern higher education in China.
At the end of the 19th century, the Sino-Japanese War was defeated and the nation was in distress. Sheng Xuanhuai, a well-known modern Chinese industrialist and educator, adhered to the belief that "self-improvement comes first in Chucai, Chucai must first study", and in 1896 raised funds to establish Nanyang College, the predecessor of Jiaotong University in Shanghai Xujiahui. At the beginning of construction, the goal was to train high-end legal and political talents. Firstly, there were four normal colleges, foreign colleges, middle colleges, and upper courts, followed by railway classes, special classes, political classes, translation colleges, and East Literature Hall. Long-distance, created a new trend of modern education in China. In 1905, it was renamed the Commercial Department, and the school was renamed the Shanghai Advanced Industrial School of Commerce. The goal was to train advanced engineering and management personnel. In 1907, it was renamed the Post and Communication Department, and the school was renamed the Post and Communication Department Shanghai Advanced Industry School. After the 1911 Revolution, it was renamed Nanyang University Hall. After the founding of the Republic of China, the school was renamed the Ministry of Communications, and the school was renamed the Shanghai Technical College of the Ministry of Communications. Although the school has been renamed several times, the purpose of adhering to the training of transportation industry professionals remains unchanged.
In December 1920, Ye Gongzhuo, the chief of transportation, listed the four schools affiliated to the Ministry of Transportation: Shanghai Industrial Technical College, Tangshan Technical College, Beijing Post and Telecommunications School, and Beijing Railway Management School as university branches, and named it Jiaotong University, which is a national university. In May 1921, Jiaotong University was formally established, and Shanghai Polytechnic College was reorganized accordingly. Since then, although the name of Jiaotong University has survived the storm, it has continued to pass on. Today in the 21st century, there are five schools in the country that use the name of Jiaotong University because of their historical origins, namely Shanghai Jiaotong University, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Southwest Jiaotong University, Beijing Jiaotong University, and Hsinchu Jiaotong University in Taiwan.
In July 1922, the Shanghai School of Jiaotong University was reorganized into Nanyang University of the Ministry of Communications. After the establishment of the Nanjing National Government in 1927, the school was renamed the No. 1 Jiaotong University of the Ministry of Communications. In July 1928, the Ministry of Communications merged Shanghai, Tangshan, and Beijing to form Jiaotong University, which is still a national university. In November of the same year, Jiaotong University was placed under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Railways. In August 1937, it was directly under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education. During the War of Resistance Against Japan, the school moved into the French Concession and set up a difficult school. In 1940, a branch school was set up in Jiulongpo, Chongqing. After the victory of the War of Resistance Against Japan, the school restored the Xujiahui campus in Shanghai. On the eve of liberation, teachers and students actively participated in the democratic revolution, and the school was hailed as a "fortress of democracy."
With the founding of New China in 1949, Jiaotong University entered a new historical period. In order to meet the needs of national economic construction, the school adjusted a considerable number of advantageous departments and disciplines to support the development of domestic sibling institutions. In the summer of 1956, according to the decision of the State Council, part of the school was relocated to Xi'an, divided into Shanghai part and Xi'an part of Jiaotong University. In March 1959, the two parts were listed as national key universities at the same time. In July, they were separately established under the approval of the State Council. The Shanghai Jiaotong University opened the name of Shanghai Jiaotong University. In the 1960s and 1970s, the school successively belonged to the leaders of the National Defense Science, Technology and Industry Commission and the Sixth Military Department, and actively participated in national defense personnel training and national defense scientific research, and made great contributions to "two bombs and one star" and national defense modernization.
Since the reform and opening up, especially since it was directly under the leadership of the Ministry of Education in 1982, the school has boldly promoted the reform with the spirit of “daring to be the first in the world.” , Has effectively promoted the teaching and research reform of the school. In 1984, Comrade Deng Xiaoping cordially met with the school's main leaders and representatives of teachers and students, and fully affirmed the reform of Shanghai Jiaotong University. With the strong support of the country and Shanghai, the school aims at "upper-level and first-class", and takes discipline construction as the leader. It has successively restored and constructed science, management, life, law, and humanities. In 1999, Shanghai Agricultural College was incorporated. In 2005, it merged with Shanghai Second Medical University to form a new Shanghai Jiaotong University. At present, Shanghai Jiaotong University has become a domestic first-class and world-renowned university with science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, literature, law, management and other disciplines, as well as a large number of scientific research institutions and many affiliated hospitals. It is making steady progress towards a world-class university. .